Saturday, November 17, 2012

2 Orca Bay finishes! (well, sort of!)

Do we have any Bonnie Hunter groupies out there? I follow Bonnie on and off (http://quiltville.com) because to follow her ALL the time I wouldn't get anything else done ;-) Well, I let my friend Pam talk me into Bonnie's November 2011 mystery called "Orca Bay." And one year later (and many other projects in between), Pam and I have managed to get Orca Bay to the quilt top stage.

Here is Pam's:

Pam followed Bonnie's color scheme pretty closely, although her colors cover a wide variety of shades from light to darks. She also used tinier strips than I did. Her reds include some pink, and her light backgrounds include a little yellow for sparkle. Pam's favorite color scheme is red-white-blue, and this really suits her, don't you think! Good job, Pam. Be sure you visit her blog at http://pamsquiltspot.blogspot.com


And this is my Orca Bay. I started with a fat quarter bundle of Mary Engelbreit fabrics in bright red, bright yellow, black and white. It has little teapots on it! This color scheme is not my favorite, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with this quilt. My favorite fabrics are civil-war era reproductions. We are both pleased that we persevered and finished our tops. I'll send mine out to a longarmer after the first of the year.

I did the math on this quilt, and it has over 3,300 pieces in it!

I'm excited about beginning a baby quilt next....and yes, we're talking about Bonnie's new mystery, Easy Street. Hmmm..what to do? so many quilts, so little time!

Till next time, keep stitchin!
Mary

2 comments:

  1. Wow ... got your link on Bonnie's website from your post. BEAUTIFUL QUILTS!! Like you, I'm a Civil War Repro kinda girl but this is a nice quilt and I'm sure you'll find a good home for it ;-) Also love red/white/blue and your friend's quilt looked amazing as well. I copied the instructions of the Orca Bay mystery when it was going on (no time to participate then) and really like it but am looking forward to THIS year's mystery ... Easy Street. What colors are you doing?? I am pulling a different pallet than Bonnie but not all together yet.... Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! And I'm so glad we finished the tops! You know we can find a good home for it.

    ReplyDelete