Sunday, November 18, 2012

Design Wall-Kian's Baby Quilt



Here's what my design wall has on it today! I am making a baby quilt for an expected grandson due in January. I better get busy! I've made this design before, and it is perfect for a baby quilt. It comes from the Country Threads book "Charm School." The quilt is called Only Babies Eat With Their Fingers, and it's made (as all the quilts are in their 2 Charm School books) using 5 inch charm squares. I purchased 3 charm square bundles and some yardage of Bunny Hill's line called "Ooh-La-La." (If my LQS doesn't carry what I want, I can usually find it at http://fatquartershop.com) .



The charm pack has pink, blue, and greys in it. I've added some soft green and yellow. Yes, this is a soft yellow, I don't know why it looks so "gold" in the photo. I'm photographically challenged.


Don't you love the toile fabric? It has little sheep, a barn, and the pastoral scenes found in toile fabrics. There was an equal amount of pinks and blues in the charm pack, but I'm using just a few pinks as this is (supposed to be) a little boy.


Here's how to make the hourglass block:  Start with 2 dark and 2 light fabrics cut at 5 inches square. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the light background fabric, sew a "scant" 1/4 inch from the line on both sides. (When I measure the distance between my sewing lines, I have 3/8 inch, rather than 1/2 inch.) Cut the square apart on the pencil line, press fabric to the darker fabric.




Now put the blocks right side together, the dark triangle directly opposite the light triangle. Draw another diagonal pencil line, sew on both sides of it--again a scant 1/4"--cut on the line, and press this seam open.


I always trim my blocks before setting them together. These are trimmed to 4.25 inches. When sewn together they will finish at 3.75 inches.

Obviously, I'm taking a sewing break to blog for a bit, Perry Mason is on, and they just had a fabulous quilt on the wall! It was an applique quilt in red/bright royal blue/yellow. The episode is called "The Case of the Grimacing Governor." Wish I had a pix of that quilt! I googled applique quilt but oh my, that could really take you down a rabbit trail!

Till next time, keep stitchin!
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Love the baby quilt, Mary! I've been working on my Scrappiness - should be posted for Friday.

    ReplyDelete