Monday, February 25, 2013

Hampton Virginia Quilt Show

Once a year the Mancuso quilt fest folks put on a fabulous quilt show in Hampton, Virginia. On Sunday, we drove down to Hampton with some friends and had a wonderful day.



The traditional quilts are usually my favorites, but these were just different enough that they caught my eye. I have a picture of the quilt, and then a closeup. I hope you can see some of the details in the quilt, including the quilting.



I really, really love 2-color quilts. Blue and white would be my first choice, followed by red and white, but this green and white quilt was stunning. Oh how I wish I could have watched this artist machine quilting this green and white beauty!



And the artist who hand pieced this basket quilt was robbed of a ribbon. This quilt was incredible! Each basket finishes at 3 inches square. She used all kinds of fabrics, but the quilt has an older feeling to it because she used the blue Civil War era repro to set the blocks together. This truly was a stunning masterpiece!

Of course, I had to buy a few goodies to bring home! First, a few bundles of fabrics:  The blue bundle is 8 fat quarters of Judie Rothermal's Cocheco Mills in blue and brown; The shirting bundle is 10 assorted reproduction shirting fat quarters; the flat red package has 1.5 inch x 42 inches "log cabin" pieces. How fun is that going to be! 28 dark reds and 24 light reds. And the brown bundle in front has 20 different 10 inch squares in brown, from light to dark. Gorgeous!



And then a few notions:  a package of 1" hexagon paper pieces (hexagon piecing is very big right now!), some blue quilt pounce (to use on white fabric); and 3 quilt pounce stencils: a feathered heart, 2 snowflakes, and 2 borders. I have a quilt pounce but couldn't get it to work satisfactorily, so she gave me a quick demo. You have to "prime" your pounce by pouncing it about 100 times to get it started....who knew? The stencils are on a very fine nylon mesh and you can store them rolled up if you like.  You can buy them at www.FullLineStencil.com.


And I could NOT resist this Superior thread chart, for only $3.00! It will be fun to put it on a blank wall space near my sewing machine and just look at the gorgeous colors. The beautiful blue bird toile is a gift from my dear friend, Pam....thanks Pam! Hubby and I really enjoyed our day with you and your hubby...And dinner at the Kings Arms in Williamsburg was wonderful!

till next time, keep stitchin!
Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment