Sunday, April 29, 2012

What's on my Design Wall

I know, I know...I wasn't going to start any new projects this year other than those I needed for a specific group that I'm involved in. But sewing is my "therapy"--cheaper than seeing a shrink, right--and I needed a "mindless" project that I could work on in between some other obligations. So I was thumbing through my Jennifer Chiaverini quilt books and came across this wonderful log cabin called "Gerda's Log Cabin." It's from the Runaway Quilt book (loved that story!). I have a 4-drawer unit with all my Jo Morton fabrics in it, and some of them are really getting old and tired of just laying in that drawer. So I took a bunch of them out and cut them into 2 inch strips. The block starts with the 2 inch black square in the center, and you only need 8 more logs and you're done with the block.
It's very easy to make 4 of them at a time, and I am making a big dent in my "old Jo" stash! I have 46 blocks made. If I follow the pattern, I need a total of 140. I may adjust the layout a bit, we'll see. I usually draw something up on EQ before I start stitching, so I'm actually working backwards this time. Still, the blocks are easy and I like it so far!

What's on your design wall?

Till next time, keep stitchin'
Mary

5 comments:

  1. Nice! Haven't worked on a log cabin quilt just yet, have done one row in a quilt as you go quilt, but not one by itself. Like the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment, Maria. If you go out and come back in to my blog you should be able to see my new template. I like to change things up every now and again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your log cabin is wonderful and perfect in Jo Morton fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Can't go wrong with log cabins and Jo fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Mary! Can't wait to see it. My design wall is so sad right now, not posting a picture. Remember the Tour De Quilt with the mosaic fabric? I have some 16 patches on the design wall. They've been under other things for over a year. Shame on me! Maybe I'll actually get the top finished soon - but not before Merry Mayhem!

    ReplyDelete