Sunday, March 25, 2012

Rudy Day



Today is March 25, which means it's time to have a little Christmas celebration! That's what Rudy Day is all about--we celebrate Rudolph and all things Christmas.

The theme for this month's Rudy Day is "books and movies" so hubby obliged me by picking out his favorite Christmas flicks. They include: The Santa Claus (Tim Allen), The Holiday (Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jack Black, Jude Law), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (wonderful snow scene), The Christmas Angel (with Mannheim Steamroller's fabulous music), The Polar Express (Tom Hanks), and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol (my very favorite Christmas Carol edition with the wonderful Jim Backus).
As for books, I guess I really do have a lot of favorites. Colonial Williamsburg Christmas Decorations (We love CW and live about 45 miles from it), Christmas Quilting books by Eleanor Burns, Lynette Jensen of Thimbleberries and Nancy J. Martin's Make Room For Christmas Quilts; Mary Engelbreit's Christmas book and The Farm Chick's Christmas. If you grew up in the 1940's or 50's you'll love this book. It has wonderful vintage Christmas collectibles displayed throughout. Since we had so little snow here in Virginia this winter, I included a picture with two snow scenes from "Farm Chick's".
I do have 2 children's books, and it's interesting that Jan Brett is the author of both. I love the detail in her books. The drawings are amazing. I have  "Gingerbread Friends" and the miniature book "Twelve Days of Christmas." 






Every Christmas lover needs to have their own Christmas binder to help them organize their holiday plans. I have two. One is for miscellaneous information--gift giving record, Christmas card file, timeline, and some photos of my decorations. The second binder is only for the food of the season..."Holiday Meals" is a 1.5 inch binder, with my own customized cover. Inside are dividers for menus, clear sheets with pockets for 4 x 6 inch recipe cards,and  magazine food articles too pretty to toss. I bought some kitcheny scrapbook paper by Gooseberry Patch to use as backgrounds, and I have two fine-line pens in red and holly green to make notes with. Very festive!


The remaining two photos are other books in my Christmas library. Better Homes and Gardens, Southern Living, Country Sampler (love love love it!), Gooseberry Patch and Christmas Cottage. The small book in the middle is titled "The Festive Christmas Cookbook" by Norma Jost Voth. It's a small book (about 6x6 inches) and was published in 1996. It celebrates the foods of many different European countries. A little history along with the recipes!

The last photo has 2 mystery books--Joanne Fluke and Rita Mae Brown. Both laugh out loud funny authors! The Christmas Quilt is by Jennifer Chiaverini and the book on the left--Celebrate Christmas-- is to feed your spiritual side. It begins with December 1 and explains the Advent Wreath, with a new reading for each day in December, ending on Christmas Day. It's written by Bob and Kelli James.

I hope you enjoy a peak into my house and collections. See you soon and in the meantime, keep celebrating Christmas!  Mary



No comments:

Post a Comment