Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Wayward Girls

The Wayward Girls try to have a sewing date once a month or so on a Saturday. It goes like this:  Pam and Carol stop at Starbucks for their Caramel Macchiatos. Then they come to my house and we set up shop. My sewing room is a 17 x 17 foot space over the garage. I have three 2 x 4 foot tables bumped up next to one another, so we each have our own sewing table. We have a cutting table and a pressing surface, and a design wall. Pam can turn her chair around and access the computer (she's my computer techie friend), which she does quite frequently. We talk about videos and blogs we've found that feed us quilting information. Carol sets up her little ironing station right at her sewing station, and gets busy with her latest project. We cut, stitch, press, and laugh all morning. It's hard work, and we usually work up quite an appetite. About noon we take a lunch break and head over to the nearby Mexico Restaurant. Pam is from Texas, and she knows Mexican food, so she's our guide. My hubby got sick once on Mexican food (in Chicago, but that's another long story) and won't go near another Mexican plate of food. Consequently, I am woefully ignorant on the subject. I began my eating adventure with quesidallas and fajitas. They're so yummy I've never ventured beyond them! Carol is tasting new things too and has declared that we need to end each meal with sopapillas, with chocolate drizzled on top.

Sometimes we stop and shop after lunch--the grocery store for dinner items, or Hobby Lobby for some necessities. Then it's back to my place for more sewing. We break for dinner about 6, sew some more and then call it a night about 9:30 p.m. (We all have church the next morning).




I LOVE my sewing days with the Wayward Girls. It is so fun and so motivating. I push myself harder because they're there with me and it would be impolite to quit! These are the projects we worked on during our March Sewing Day. The top photo is Carol's paper piecing project. She will be teaching a class on it soon at JoJos Quilt shop in Chesterfield, Virginia. Y'all come! The red/black "Birds in the Air" flimsy is Pam's super-sized Jo Morton Little Women quilt. And the last photo is my "Berry Nice" from Jo Morton's Group 10.

The Wayward Girls are coming over again the first Saturday in April. I'm really looking forward to it, and will post some photos for you.

In the meantime, keep stitchin!  Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment