Thursday, May 31, 2012

Design Wall

I have encouraged our Little Women group to begin this multi-month project called Yankee Doodle. The first month they are to make the center star block (above) using any number of methods. I chose to hand sew 3/8" and 1/2" buttons for my center block. Then they are to complete six of the applique star/circle blocks and sew the center panel sections together. I used a fusible interfacing (Heat 'n Bond Lite is my favorite) and a machine straight stitch to make my appliqued blocks.
For the upcoming June meeting, my demo quilt needs to be at this stage:  I finished the tiny flying geese and sewed them to the center star. I also completed all the star/circle blocks in the top section of the quilt--12 more--and connected them to the setting squares. Then the top section is connected to the center section. Very doable..and it's really starting to take shape. I'm enjoying this Yankee Doodle project more than I had thought I would!


I also finished putting the binding on Raspberry Swirl (above). It is the demo quilt for our June Little Women meeting. I machine quilted it exactly as Jo recommended. I don't usually have the exact fabrics Jo's uses for the sashing and borders of a quilt, but this time I did, so I went ahead and used them. The block pattern is commonly known as "Turkey Tracks" and is an old block pattern. It was not an easy one to do correctly, it's very easy to lose some of those points. I love a good red and white quilt, don't you?--even more so since the wonderful red and white quilt exposition in New York city last year.

I hope you all are having a good week, and till next time, keep stitchin'.
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment