Thursday, April 4, 2013

On my Design Wall Today - A Sampler Quilt and Some Pinwheels


I've been playing with my sampler blocks today, and finished two more to add to my collection. The block above is called "Richmond", it will finish at 12 inches square. The block below is called "Card Tricks" and is one of my all-time favorite quilt blocks. I love how the fabrics look layered under and over each other!


 Here are the 4 blocks I have finished, plus I have all 13 of the setting blocks done. The setting blocks will show a strong brown or blue diagonal line across the whole quilt top. The Rail Fence (upper left in the photo) was our January block, and the Square-in-the-square (upper right) was our February block. I am hoping to do this entire quilt top using my current stash--mostly Jo Morton fabrics.


This is the other project on my design wall, another quilt totally made from my stash. This quilt is called "Blackbird Crossing" from the January-February 2009 Fons and Porter magazine (Love of Quilting). My 36 red pinwheels are finished. (They will finish at 6 inches square). I need a total of 44 blue pinwheels--I have 4 done! This might become a "Quilt of Valor" if I can bear to part with it when I'm finished with it.

I work 4 days a week and Thursday is my day off. I always enjoy sewing up a storm on Thursdays. Some Thursdays I don't even get out of the house! That's my contribution to saving gas, too. I made 20 pinwheels today and 2 sampler blocks. Plus I worked on the handouts for my Sewing Circle class. Next I'll  trace some of the applique blocks for Blackbird Crossing. I need 4 red star blocks and 6 blue star blocks, plus the applique center block. I'm planning to use machine applique with Pellon Wonder Under for the applique. I downloaded the digital issue of the magazine from the Love of Quilting website. It's the Jan-Feb 2009 issue. I also noticed they have a digital copy of their 2012 issues for $20. That might be better than trying to store all these magazines! I have made several quilts from their patterns, and they get very high marks for accuracy and easy-to-follow instructions. I've been a fan of theirs since Liz Porter taught some workshops for our quilt guild.

I hope all is well in your world...and till next time, keep stitchin!
Mary

1 comment:

  1. Don't you just love it when you can complete, or nearly complete, a whole project with your stash? I do.

    ReplyDelete