Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Wayward Girls

The Wayward Girls had another fun get-together last Saturday with our sewing machines and fabrics and fun projects. Pam worked on several projects, including our Scrap Therapy mystery quilt.

 Step 1 are these gorgeous 6 inch 9 patches (above).


Step 2 are the 4 patch blocks, and step 3 uses the 4-patch blocks to create a 4 x 12 inch strip (above). Pam is using her Oriental fabrics--won't it be wonderful!


This is the 2nd project Pam worked on--These Signature blocks are from the Civil War Sewing Circle book by Kathy Tracy. She is on her way to having 44 of them. Now she needs at least 43 friends to sign a block for her!


Carol worked on her Thimbleberries project. Aren't these teapot blocks adorable? Each block will finish to 4 inches square. Even though they are so small, they were rather time consuming. Carol used a fusible product and her machine blanket stitch, plus a decorative stitch to add the leaves and stem design. I can't wait to make mine! I'm thinking blue teapots, but I might change my mind before I actually start this project. Red would be cute too!





We had lunch at Red Lobster for a change...they're having their Lobster Fest right now. Then we checked out the yarns and threads at Hobby Lobby, stopped at Starbucks for a coffee and cake pop (have you tried the salted carmel ones? They're my favorite!), and picked up sandwiches at FireHouse subs for dinner.

I worked on two projects:  My Scrap Therapy project step 4 (no photo) and a Fons and Porter project called Blackbird Crossing, from their January-February 2009 issue of Love of Quilting (below). I had already made the 36 red pinwheels, and traced the patterns for the center medallion on my fusible paper.




Don't you just love those little blackbirds? The pinwheel blocks will measure 6 inches finished. I need to do all the blanket stitching on the center medallion, and on the 10 star blocks. I have finished 22 blue and white pinwheels and need another 22 more--so I'm half way there!. The quilt is finished with a row of flying geese all around.


And the really fun thing is that I'm making this quilt and the Scrap Therapy mystery quilt all from my stash. They are both a "no-buy" project. That adds to the challenge and makes it special.

I hope you're having a good week and get some time to do something creative. Till next time, keep stitchin!
Mary




2 comments:

  1. As usual, a fun time was had by all! I do enjoy so much our sew days - the company is the best. With the addition of a bird brain, it was very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, a fun time was had by all! I do enjoy so much our sew days - the company is the best. With the addition of a bird brain, it was very fun!

    ReplyDelete