Saturday, February 25, 2012

Generals' Wives Block

I made another block for my General Wives quilt. This block is in memory of Julia Dent Sherman, wife of Ulysses S. Grant, US Civil War general and president of the United States. Having lived in northern Illinois, I am very familiar with the family home the Sherman's had in Galena Illinois. Hubby and I toured it years ago, and I remember the wonderful period antiques. You can see the home here...
at http://www.granthome.com/grant_home.htm. Julia and President Grant had 3 sons and a daughter. Grant was dying with throat cancer when he wrote his memories, ensuring a financial legacy for his wife and children. I would love to get my hands on a copy of that book!

I've also located the Wyndham fabric website if you would like to more information on the quilt and the fabrics. http://www.windhamfabrics.com/cgi-bin/fabricshop/gallery.cgi?Category=509

And last but not least, here is my block, done in soft lavender and greens.

No comments:

Post a Comment